Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spanakopita?

Working as a cashier, I occasionally come across some rather hilarious situations involving my guests. Most often these have absolutely nothing to do with spanking, but every once in a while, I get a goldmine.

A pizza platter that I've been eying for months for it's perfect paddle shape went on clearance a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday a woman bought it and went through my lane. It was all I could do not to chuckle. I commented on what a nice pizza platter it was, and her response was, "Oh I thought it was...

*notable silence*

"...a cutting board."

I'm sure if you get a close look at our lips, you probably would have seen us both mouthing the word "paddle". I sure hope that lady is having as much with that "cutting board" as I was planning to have.

A few hours later, a guest come through with lots of groceries, most of which I didn't give a second glance. But one frozen spinach-covered pastry caught my attention and nearly gave me a deer in the headlights look.

Spanakopita.

Spanakopita? This is really a thing?

On my break, I had to look for this and make sure I wasn't seeing things. But yes. There really is a food called spanakopita.

I'm sure there's some foreigner in another country who has completely innocent reasons for naming this food this name. But I mean seriously....spanakopita. Heck, I can barely type the word once without writing "spankopita".

It's now become one of my favorite words. If I ever have a spanking party, I know what I'm gonna be serving.

2 comments:

  1. First time I cam across. . .that particular dish, I was out to dinner with friends from work. Needless to say, I did not order it. Nor did I say much of anything for the next several minutes until I recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever my co-workers and I went to lunch at a Greek restaurant, one of the group would invariably pronounce it "spank-a-kopita"

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete