Monday, April 8, 2013

Ten Tips For Spanking Fiction Writers

I've been preparing to write some new stories for this blog, as it is something I really enjoy doing and hopefully I can provide some entertainment and insight through them. While I do write other things that don't involve spanking, I've always been drawn to what I call "The Spanking Narrative". It's that process of getting in trouble, the rift in a relationship, paying a fair price for your crime, mending the relationship and learning your lesson. Sometimes this narrative process even turns up in my stories that have nothing to do with spanking!

Anyway, I wanted to post some tips for my reference and for anyone else who writes or wants to write spanking fiction. These are all things I've learned from making these mistakes in the past and I hope they prove helpful.

1. Do not repetitiously use onomatopoeia. Nothing is more boring than reading "SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!" "OW! OW! OW!"

2. Remove clothing slowly and change implements frequently. Spanking is a monotonous activity, so the more things you have to write about the longer you can keep a spanking going.

3. Experiment with different locations, positions, time periods and even genre. Variety is the spice of life, and that applies to spanking fiction as well. The more original your setting is, the more chance you have of catching your audience's attention.

4. Always have a good reason for a spanking to happen. Even if your spanking is the fun, happy and sexy kind, make sure the one getting spanked earns it. Getting in trouble is a vital part of spanking play.

5. If you are writing a story with multiple chapters, don't have a spanking every chapter. Droughts between spankings allow a reader to take a breath, invest in the characters and whet their appetite for the next spanking to occur.

6. It is perfectly acceptable to write spanking fics where the spankees in question are minors. Please keep in mind the boundaries of good taste while doing so (in general, sex is to be avoided at all costs), and be mindful that the younger a child is the less severe their spankings should be.

7. Focus on the emotional journey your characters take over the course of a spanking, rather than the physical action. What is their usual emotional state? How does that change leading up, during, and after the spanking? The emotional ride creates an attachment to the characters that will last much longer than the memory of how they were spanked.

8. Do not be afraid to inject lots of humor into your spanking stories.

9. If you are not using your own original characters (fan fiction), be sure to get a firm grasp on the character so that you can write them "in character". Nothing is more repulsive in fan fiction than a character who acts completely different from they originally are.

10. If you are using your own original characters, make sure they have character. Give them unique personalities, dreams and goals, motivations for why they do things they do. Memorable characters are the key to any good story, and spanking fiction is no exception.

Keep Calm and Think of Spanking!

7 comments:

  1. Aaron, those are all excellent points. I hope aspiring writers of spanking fiction will read and heed.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron, great post and a useful one too. I've had to put my fiction writing on hold for the moment, but look forward to getting back to downloading the smut in my head some time soon! Your 10 tips will certainly be at the forefront of my thoughts when I'm next in spanko fiction mode.
    CW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron,
    I've been writing about my fantasy couple, Cassie and Tom, for nearly 7 years now. Without thinking about it I've used many of these 'rule'. I think you have some excellent advice here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Aaron. Hermione sent me over and I've learned some new things. I've only been writing about a year and I think I do many of these things already but have learned even more. I would love it if you ever have time to stop by my site and critique one or more of my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a general reply to all the comments:

    Glad you folks found the list useful and I'll try to read a few of your stories when I can. =)

    Hermione, thanks a ton for the reference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aaron,

    I'm slow sometimes, but I do make my way around eventually. Thanks for an interesting article.

    I write some fiction, but as a journalist, it's much easier and more natural for me to describe things that have happened than events that could happen. When I write fiction, I'm looking for a theme that's a bit off the beaten path. :) The last thing I want my writing to be is formulaic or predictable.

    I think a good alternative to #2 is mixing in some dialog. People don't have to be silent during a spanking. I'm certainly not. It also provides the characters with an opportunity to show themselves in a new context.

    I love both #3 and #7 as demonstrated by some of my stories!

    I politely disagree with #6 because I don't want to risk inspiring someone to harm a child. But people can and do write what they please.

    As for #10, I find that the best characters come alive in the author's mind and sometimes chart their own destiny. I love when this happens.

    If you'd like to sample my stories, you might begin with this one.

    With warm regards,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear. I have stumbled upon this fantastic blog about 2.5 years too late. This is good stuff, but where is your fiction? I want to read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete